Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Twinspiration Tuesday: Creativity At Its Finest

Apologies for that unexpected Twinspiration Tuesdays hiatus! Graham didn't have school in July or August so it was difficult to find time for writing on the blog, but school is back and so is the blog with lots of new stories to share! 

Picking back up right where we left off, 12 Hours in 12 Weeks, Part Two: 

I still stand by my word(s) that I love this book, but I have to make a couple disclaimers. I know the author had twins, but I have to assume that she didn't have a strong willed two year old toddler in tow. Some of the books' suggestions are challenging enough with two infants, but throw in a Graham, and it's almost near impossible to follow some of the guidelines.  

The book expresses how important it is for the babies stay awake between the 4:00pm and 7:00pm feedings. It's probably pretty obvious why this was a challenge, but just in case you're not sure, let me paint little picture. There's a lot that goes on between these hours in the day. First off, everyone in the family needs to eat. I've definitely gotten better at trying to prepare as much as I can during nap time so it's easier to put a meal together during dinner time, but it still requires some of my time. Graham has just woken up from a nap so he's ready to exhaust his second wind, and the babies have gotten tired of switching off between the swing and laying on the floor mat all day. It's a hard time of the day, and I get that. BUT the book also talks about having the babies adapt to your life style, not you adapting to their lifestyle. In theory, I love the idea, but sometimes I have to ask, how? 

After racking my brain and trying lots of combinations, this is what I've found to work best around our house... "Witching Hour" Wagon Rides!

Almost 4 Months Old
I've tried to put one in the baby bjorn, but the other one feels left out. This way, I can bring them to any room in the house and they're usually pretty happy because they look up and see Mom. This set up works the best when we're eating dinner as a family. It allows me, Graham, and Brian to all sit at the table at the same time without holding a baby in our arms and eating. It does require one of us to push the wagon back and forth a couple times during the meal though. 

5 Months Old
Somedays it's harder to keep them awake than other days. I have to remember that these are "second" children so their first nap happens a lot of times "on the go" and they're exhausted by the end of the day. It really doesn't interfere with falling asleep at bedtime because they are that tired. 

Graham loves to play outside, but it's been hard to make that happen since I don't have enough hands to hold all the babies when we're out there. Luckily, we found a way to solve that problem by using our favorite swing! 


2 1/2 Months Old
Once again, the babies like this one a little too much. The warm air, cozy blankets, and soothing swing make for the perfect place to take a nap. 

3 1/2 Months Old
Even though I'm not following all the rules in the book, I will say, everyone is pretty happy, and that feels like a win when there's so many of us to please. 

4 Months Old





No comments:

Post a Comment